You know what one of the biggest dangers is of dating in 2016? Navigating the minefield of TEXTING!
Especially early on in the relationship, you’ve got to think out literally every… SINGLE… WORD that you type to make sure it’s coming out exactly how you want.
So I’ve got the Top Tips for Texting at the beginning of the relationship. Study this list… memorize it… because believe me, you don’t want to be that person:
- Don’t wait three days. It’s 2016, not 1956. People are all about immediate gratification so if you wait, they might lose interest. Do it now!
- Don’t just text “Hey,” “Hi,” or “Hello.” It’s lazy and easy to ignore. Throw out a question… say something about yourself… talk about a shared interest…. ANYTHING other than “‘sup?”
- Focus on making concrete plans. After a minute of back-and-forth, make some plans to meet up so you don’t end up as just a “texting penpal.”
- Pay attention to grammar and spelling. Ok it’s true that some people don’t care about grammar and spelling over texts. You could probably get away with something stupid like “R U OK 2 C Me L8tr” but those first impressions are important and you don’t want to sound like an idiot. Play it safe and show you’re willing to put the effort into knowing “there,” “their,” and “they’re.”
- Know when to STOP texting. One unreturned text could be forgetfulness or tech problems. FIVE to TEN unreturned texts is a big red flag that they’re not interested. Move on, stalker.